Mark is a founding partner at Klinner Kramer Shull LLP, where he primarily defends insurance companies and their policyholders in a variety of civil litigation, with an emphasis on negligence and tort-based claims. He regularly represents individuals, municipalities (counties, cities, villages, and towns), and businesses. Mark also routinely handles selected plaintiff’s cases (primarily personal injury claims) and regularly serves as a mediator. During his legal career, Mark has successfully represented clients at the trial and appellate levels throughout Wisconsin.
Mark is board-certified in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA). He has been board-certified continuously since 1997. The NBTA is accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) to confer certification to qualified attorneys – a rigorous process that officially recognizes extensive education, training, and courtroom experience. Certified trial lawyers undergo a thorough screening of their credentials, including documentation of trial experience, recommendations by judges and other attorneys, and successful completion of a written examination. For more information, go to http://www.nbtalawyers.org/.
Mark is a Charter Law Fellow in the American College of Board Certified Attorneys (ACBCA) and is also certified in Civil Pretrial Practice Law by the NBTA. The recently created pretrial practice law certification was developed to recognize attorneys with significant litigation experience and skill at settling cases before trial. Pretrial practice includes the preparatory steps for litigation before a tribunal, from case inception through discovery, pretrial motions and hearings, and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
In addition, Mark has been selected multiple times for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers. To be designated as a Super Lawyer, a demanding multi-phase rating and selection process is used. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and verified professional achievement. Selections are made on an annual state-by-state basis, and only 5 percent of the attorneys in Wisconsin are selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. For more information, go to http://www.superlawyers.com.
Further, Mark has received an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, based upon peer reviews by other lawyers and judges. AV is the highest rating for professional ethics and legal ability and is awarded to fewer than 8 percent of attorneys.
A native of central Wisconsin, Mark graduated from Medford Senior High School in 1978. He then earned his bachelor’s degree at UW – Eau Claire in 1982, followed by his Juris Doctor from UW – Madison Law School in 1985. Mark then returned to the Wausau area, where he has been in private practice for 30 years.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Defense Litigation
- Municipal Liability Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- General Civil Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1997 - present
- Civil Pretrial Practice Law, National Board of Pretrial Practice Advocacy, 2012 - present
- Wisconsin, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- J.D. - 1985
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- B.A. - 1982
- Honors: cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017
- Charter Fellow, American College of Board Certified Attorneys (ACBCA), 2013 - present
- AV Preeminent Rating in Martindale-Hubbell, 2015 - present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin, 1985 - present
- Wisconsin Defense Counsel, 1988 - present
- Marathon County Bar Association, 1985 - present
Past Employment Positions
- Klinner Kramer Shull LLP, Trial Attorney and Mediator, 2015 - present
- Zalewski, Klinner & Kramer, LLP, Trial Attorney, 2001 to 2014
- Sandfort, Zalewski & Klinner, LLP, Trial Attorney, 1998 to 2000
- Terwilliger, Wakeen, Piehler & Conway, SC, Trial Attorney, 1988 to 1998
- Rogers & Bremer, Trial Attorney, 1985 to 1988